OTILLO Isles of Scilly 2017
The third stop of the LifeProof sponsored ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Series saw 200 participants in teams of two from 17 different nations taking on the challenging course at the Isles of Scilly. Featuring over 200 islands and islets the 2nd edition of the ÖTILLÖ Isles of Scilly hosted a total of 29.5km of trailrunning with 8,000+ metres of swimming meaning athletes must be as strong of a swimmer as they are runners.The hot weather brought with it some challenges as athletes had to run on land in their dark wet-suits.
The Isles of Scilly are like a temperate, tropical island paradise with incredible scenery white sandy beaches and more historical sites per square meter than anywhere else in the UK. Just 45 km off the coast of south-west England. The competitors tackled a total of 38 km of trail running and open water swimming on and between the Scillonian islands in the scorching summer weather. The water was calm as a mirror, helping the racers get past the long tough swims and speeding up the pace. The first team over the finish line, Stefano Prestinoni and Fredrik Axegård (SWE), smashed last year’s winning time with 20 minutes, finishing after 4 hours, 42 minutes and 8 seconds of racing. Just as impressive was the first mixed team, Diane Sadik (SUI) and Henrik Wahlberg (SWE), finishing second overall, only 13 minutes after the leaders with the time 4:55:55! The winning women’s team, reigning world champion Annika Ericsson and Elisabet Pärsdotter Westman (SWE), finished 5:28:58 and 12th overall.
“It was an amazing race. We struggled quite hard as the temperatures were changing so much from air to water. The air was hot and the water was cold. But the swimming was fantastic, the water was so calm it was like swimming in the pool!” said Stefano Prestinoni from the winning team Swimshop.se after the finish line. The strong Swedish duo was 2nd at last year’s edition and had a clear goal for this year; to win! And win they did after taking the lead at an early stage of the race. The winning mixed team, Diane Sadik (SUI) and Henrik Wahlberg (SWE), were close to the leading pack throughout the whole course and managed to pass and pull away from some of the top men’s teams to clinch second overall. A great performance and a reminder that women in swimrun are a force to reckon with.
Eight top teams at ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Isles of Scilly qualify to the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship 2017, on 4 September 2017 in the Stockholm Archipelago; top 3 men, top 3 mixed, top 2 women.
Check out the full results below:
Top 3 results ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Isles of Scilly, 17 June 2017
1. Stefano Prestinoni and Fredrik Axegård (SWE), Team Swimshop.se, 4:42:28
2. Sebastian Bleitgen and Frank Mertins (GER), SwimrunART, 4:57:37
3. Johan Carlsson and Joakim Brunzell (SWE), Team Nynäshamns Ångbryggeri, 4:59:44
1. Diane Sadik (SUI) and Henrik Wahlberg (SWE), Team Swimrunshop.com, 4:55:55 (2nd overall)
2. Michelle Nyström and Erik Fridolf (SWE), Team Garmin, 5:02:00
3. Rhian Martin and Ben Martin (GBR), Team Drummond Clinic, 5:15:32
1. Annika Ericsson and Elisabet Pärsdotter Westman (SWE), Lag PärEric 5:28:58
2. Charlotte Årling and Amanda Liljestrand (SWE), Team Arvika, 5:41:05
3. Naomi Shinkins (IRL) and Melissa Dowell (GBR) Team ROYAL BAY Compression, 5:56:37