First Edition of OTILLO Swimrun Hvar
The 2017 Swimrun season kicked off with an incredible first race. 110 teams from 22 countries descended to battle at the ÖTILLÖ World Series event at the island of Hvar, Croatia. The Mediterranean setting had all the ingredients to spectacular yet challenging Swimrun race. The 45.5 kilometers course put all the athletes to the test, alternating technical trail running with long, challenging stretches of open water swimming in a rough sea. Reigning Swimrun World Champions and LifeProof ambassadors Daniel Hansson and Lelle Moberg (SWE), managed to pull off from the leading pack and cross the finish line as the first team after 5 hours 55 minutes 08 seconds, closely followed by four other teams. Just 15 minutes after the leaders, incredible Annika Ericsson (reigning Women’s World Champion) and Stefano Prestinoni (SWE), finished as the 1st mixed team and 6th overall with a time of 6:10:57! The first women’s team Diane Sadik (SUI) and Charlotte Eriksson (SWE) completed an impressive race and finished 7:37:41.
“This race is just something else! We have suffered today and nothing was for free. It was really tough for everyone and just an exceptional race. With the strong winds and rough sea, the swims were so hard, we spent so much energy in the water to hold course. But the race course fitted us perfectly, we loved the technical running in the hills. It’s unbelievably beautiful!”, said Lelle Moberg after finishing as overall winner with Daniel Hansson, Team Swedish Armed Forces.
Many teams had to struggle to make it in time for the two cut-offs. Some had to abandon after the long, cold swim. The top teams pushed each other hard, chasing each other in a tight group all the way to the finish line. The level of competition is mind blowing!
Eight top teams at ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar qualify to the ÖTILLÖ Swimrun World Championship 2017, on 4 September 2017 in the Stockholm Archipelago; Top 3 Men, Top 3 Mixed, Top 2 Women.
Check out a recap of the full results here.
Top 3 results ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Hvar, 2 April 2017
1. Lennart Moberg & Daniel Hansson (SWE), Swedish Armed Forces, 5:55:08
2. Martin Flinta (SWE) & Adriel Young (AUS), Team Thule, 6:01:13
3. Pontus Lindberg & George Bjälkemo (SWE), Team Garmin, 6:03:05
1. Annika Ericsson & Stefano Prestinoni (SWE), Team Swimshop.se, 6:10:57
2. Jasmina Glad Schreven (FIN) & Thomas Schreven (NED), Say no! to Doping, 6:49:14
3. Sabrina Maurette & Ludovic Maillard (FRA), Team Issy Absolu, 7:00:03
1. Diane Sadik (SUI) and Charlotte Eriksson (SWE), Team Swimrunshop.com, 7:37:41
2. Still on course when PR sent out
3. Still on course when PR sent out