Mixed Team Dominates OTILLO Swimrun Engadin
The LifeProof sponsored OTILLO Swimrun Series took place in Engadin, Switzerland last weekend, where 320 competitors took to the picture perfect Engadin Valley to compete in a race of 53.3k, broken into 47.45km of trail running in a wetsuit and 5.87km of open water swimming through seven mountain lakes! With over 16 changes between running and swimming throughout the course, all of the teams were truly pushed to their limits.
The teams race passed the famous alpine village of St. Moritz, as well as the mountain towns of Maloja, Sils, Champfer, to finally finish at the sports center in Silvaplana. Despite a grueling race course the views were jaw dropping; high mountains with snowy peaks reign over the valley with scenic emerald blue lakes, the picturesque alpine villages and surrounded by a striking pine forest, this is a one of a kind race.
It wasn’t the icy water temperatures that were the biggest challenge over the weekend, it was the searing Summer heat whilst running in a wet-suit and contending with the harsh temperature drops as the athletes changed from air to water. This took it’s toll on the teams as each ran at slower than their average paces.
This weekend saw a historic moment in the world of swimrun as for the first time ever, a mixed team crossed the line in first position. Kristin Larsson and Daniel Hansson took home the trophy and placed their names in the history book with this win:
“This race suits us. It’s our favourite race of all categories! We are strong runners even uphill and we like the altitude gain. Our team work is perfect as we have been racing together for a long time and know each other inside out. We are good at focusing for a long time and pushing hard to the very end. I’m speechless of winning and so happy,” said the extraordinary athlete Kristin Larsson after the finish line.
Check out all the results from the day here:
Top 3 result ÖTILLÖ Swimrun Engadin, 10 July 2016
1. Igor Nastic and Jean-Marc Cattori (SUI), Team Ticino Bad Boys, 6:30:01
2. André Hook and Wolfgang Grohe (GER), Team Campz.com, 6:34:23
3. Gilbert Cavedon and Daniel Besse (SUI), Rushteam 2, 6:39:04
1. Kristin Larsson and Daniel Hansson (SWE), Team Addnature and Swedish Armed Forces, 6:14:17
2. Martina Ågren and Oskar Davidsson (SWE), Team Carbon, 6:56:01
3. Elfie Arnaud and Tom Ralite (FRA), Team Belove, 6:57:19
1. Salli Carlfjord and Charlotte Eriksson (SWE), Team Öra, 7:17:54
2. Lise Darefeuille and Marion Puech (FRA), Team Les Poulettes, 7:41:28
3. Naomi Shiniks and Patricia Richardson (GBR), Team Tri London Ladies, 7:44:52
You May Also Like: LifeProof VR: Youri Zoon Kiteboarding